Sunday, May 09, 2010

The Arch Bistro

We were out with Padraig and Mary last night. We had decided to try the Arch Bistro on Landscape Road in Churchtown, having read and heard good things about it.

First impression was very good, as one of us (not me - I wear varifocals) had forgotten their reading glasses.The waiter overheard us, and instantly had several pairs on offer! Service was very prompt, and the food was pretty good. I had cured salmon for starter - the salmon was lovely, but the accompaniment (crème fraiche, avocado mash and beetroot purée) was a bit bland to my taste. My main course, sea bream with celeriac mash, green beans, potato fondants and scallops, was gorgeous. I decided to try the chocolate brownie for my dessert - it was good, but not as nice as a chocolate fondant. Overall, our impression of the food was good, but not perfect - the boys were disappointed with their crumbles - too little crumble and the fruit was too sweet and lacked bite.

There was a good buzz around - the good reviews are definitely paying off for them.

On the negative side, I found the table a bit tight. Mary felt that the decor was lacking a few paintings on the walls, Brendan felt that the tables should have been dressed with white table cloth, and we all agreed that the staff were dressed a bit too casually (jeans and shirt and/or jumper)

But service was good and our overall impression was quite positive. Not quite Bistro One class, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment