Sunday, November 02, 2008

Mary Chapin Carpenter

Last night, I rediscovered an old favourite of mine, Mary Chapin Carpenter's album Come On Come On. I can't remember when I got it, was it a friend who had recommended it, or had I read about it at the time? A few months ago, I found this cassette tape (yes, it still works, and I still have a cassette player!) in my collection. I downloaded the album from an online shop last night and we listened to it for an hour. There are so many good songs on it, it's unbelievable, and it was such a joy to rediscover every single one of them. She is great with words ("Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug" is a pretty good example, I think!) and the melodies are only gorgeous. She is classified as a country artist, but to me, that's too limiting a classification.

If you'd like to see and hear her, check out YouTube, where you'll find plenty of concert footage - I like Come On Come On, Passionate Kisses, The Bug (despite the poor quality of the video!), and Only a Dream.

PS: I got the photograph from Wikipedia, and as far as I understand, almost all pictures from Wikipedia are licensed for re-use, which is good to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment