Wednesday, August 13, 2008

E-Day + 85 - So close, and yet so far

This is the frustrating bit - we're nearly done, but it's slow to finish. Ray the plumber finally came in today, and finished Brendan's bathroom, and managed to scratch some of our brand new tiles. Very annoying. And the worst thing is that he left without saying anything, so we only discovered it after he was gone. I'll be so glad to be rid of him - he has to come back again to set up the new radiators, whenever they are delivered. We had been told they would be delivered on Monday, but now apparently they are stuck on a boat from England that is being delayed by the weather. Mmm. Mmmm. It's raining all right, but the sea doesn't look that rough to me!

Stephen the electrician, ever so reliable, tidy, and nice, on the other hand, rang this morning to tell us he would be in tomorrow around 9:30. If only the plumbers were a bit more like him!

And Stephen the carpenter, such a lovely fellow, was in all day, setting up the doors and cutting the skirting boards. He's a very sunny personality, and he works very methodically. He does a great job, very neat and tidy. If only the plumbers were a bit more like him!

Last night, I couldn't face the night in, looking at the dust and the mess everywhere, so we went out for a meal at the China Sichuan restaurant in Stillorgan, our last meal in that location. They are closing next Wednesday, we overheard Kevin tell a customer, and re-opening in their new restaurant the following Monday. We had a peep at the new restaurant last week. It's in Sandyford Industrial Estate, across from the Stillorgan Luas stop, in a quiet cul-de-sac at the foot of one the relatively new apartment blocks there, at the back of the big Microsoft building. It looks really nice, contemporary, understated and plush at the same time. I can't wait to try it out!

BTW, I've written 540 posts to date - that's a bit scary, isn't it? If I was writing a book, it would be one of these big long sagas. Speaking of which, I'm reading A Suitable Boy, by Vikram Seth, for the 3rd time. It's just such a good book, I feel I will read it again and again. When I'm old and grey and I can't walk anymore, hopefully I'll still have the strength to hold that big heavy book and I'm sure it will bring me the same joy as it does today.

No comments:

Post a Comment