Friday, February 16, 2007


I didn't get much time to work on my Poppy project this week, but I have been making some progress on a value drawing, done on the computer with Corel Painter Essentials (which came with the tablet). I'll show it to you in a couple of days. In the meantime, here is a picture of the colour experimentation I was playing with last weekend, based on the tracing I took with the tablet. Again, this was done with Corel Painter Essentials.

The base drawing was the tracing I took. Then, I started pouring colours I selected from the palette. I didn't look for an exact match. I picked colours that I liked best and felt right. After using the "paint bucket" tool to pour my colours, I then used crayons to paint the centre of the flower, and then acrylics to give a bit of texture to the stamens (apologies to any botanist out there if I got the flower terminology wrong - I checked it on Wikipedia, but I'm still not sure which bit is a pistil and which is a stamen!)

I had to do this twice, as I saved it as a compressed jpg the first time and it looks pixelated when you blow it up. It is a pity, as my first attempt was definitely more spontaneous and looks more organic, I think

No comments:

Post a Comment