Sunday, February 25, 2007

Movies

I've been to a few movies lately. Some were better than others, but none were fantastic, I have to say, so I won't spend too much time talking about them.

Notes on a Scandal, with Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett, was by far the best of them, though I felt it was a bit too short. It just seemed to end very suddenly. And the scary thing is that Judi Dench's cat looks like Willow's little brother. Judi Dench is fantastic in it. There is one scene where you can see the pulse of an artery in her neck. That's the only thing that reveals her emotions. Her face is completely impassive. If it wasn't for that pulse, you would have no idea of the turmoil inside.

Because I Said So, with Diane Keaton, is, well, pure Diane Keaton. Plenty of pretty dresses, but not much substance. It's the story of an overbearing mother (Diane Keaton) trying to find a suitable match for her younger daughter, who can't seem to find a decent man for herself. It was a nice way to spend an evening, but I don't think I'll be rushing to buy the DVD! I couldn't remember where I had seen one of the sisters - she is the mother in "The Gilmore Girls". She is the only one in the movie that seems to be quite sane. Hard to imagine anyone would turn out sane with a mother like that!

And then, last night, we rented "The Devil Wears Prada". It was quite predictable, and the ending was too American for my taste. Meryl Streep is wonderful, of course. But I was very disappointed by the clothes. I really didn't see anything I wanted to wear (except for a little bright green coat). I was expecting fabulous clothes, but it was all quite dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment