Saturday, January 06, 2007

10 years married!

OK, I'm a few weeks behind in mentioning this, but things were just too busy around Christmas, and I didn't get a chance to blog as much as I wanted to.

On 20 December, we celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary. Just like our wedding day, there were no big fanfares! Actually, the day was dominated by the drama of fog in Charleroi and cancelled Ryanair flights.

But we made time for ourselves in the evening and went to Langkawi, a Malaysian restaurant on Baggot Street which has become our anniversary restaurant - we've made it a family tradition to go there on our wedding anniversary, and I wouldn't go anywhere else, even if you paid me.

Over the years, the food quality has gone up and down, and prices have definitely gone up, but I still really like going there and discovering new dishes. I definitely made the better choice for starters, with tasty and tender meatballs, while Brendan's fried chicken was a bit too crisp. It was the reverse for main courses. I can't remember what Brendan had, but he enjoyed it. I had a beef dish - the sauce had a lot of flavour, but unfortunately, the meat was tough.

One of the things I love in there is the art on the walls. They have some gorgeous big paintings, some with an Oriental theme, and others which look a bit out of place, but still somehow work: there is one of an Asian dancer - the light is captured beautifully on her face; there are also a couple of smaller square paintings of Chinese bowls - I would love to take those home - they look so simple, yet so perfect; there is one with a big dragon; and then there is one that looks like a Mediterranean wall and steps with geraniums. Langkawi is definitely worth a visit, if only for the visual joy of those paintings!

No comments:

Post a Comment