Sunday, December 17, 2006

Lahinch

We were in Lahinch at the end of July this year. Brendan took plenty of great photos during that trip to Clare. He's got a few of these shared on Flickr.

A lot of the pictures we take - either on our travels or closer to home - are an inspiration for my watercolours. I've recently gathered some of the photos that I would like to interpret as watercolours into a folder on my Mac Mini - Right now, I have 398 photographs to work from! It's great to have those for the days where I'd like to paint something but I don't know what! If worst comes to the worst, I'll start with the first picture in that folder and work my way through. I really have no excuse!

Here is a watercolour I did from one of these pictures. I'm including the original photograph and 2 versions of the watercolour. One is a scan of the watercolour, the other is a photo of the watercolour (which gives more detail than the scan). Sometimes a scan works better than a photo. I think that photographs are more dependent on the ambient light and they can be dull or brash, whereas a scan is more reliable. But the camera gives more detail than the scanner we have, which is quite old. As I couldn't decide which one I preferred, I decided to include both



No comments:

Post a Comment