Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Adelaide Road

We were sketching around Adelaide Road in late August. For me, there was one place I had to sketch - the house where I lived for a year or two in the late 80s. Number 16 (I'm pretty sure I got the right house, it's got an extra floor compared to the other houses on the street). It's a pretty standard-looking Georgian house, but it holds so many happy memories. We were sketching on a Sunday afternoon and the area is as quiet now as it was then. I imagine it's still busy with traffic in the evenings during the week, but that Sunday feeling was wonderful. I shared the flat on the first floor with a friend in 87-88 and we're still friends today. The window above the door was our bedroom, and the window beside it was our living room, separated by a thin partition wall. Same thin wall at the back between kitchen and bathroom.

All sketches done in my new Seawhite of Brighton sketchbook, with fairly robust cartridge paper. I'm going to explore what I can do with it. As you can see from the buckling at the back of the page in the next sketch, it might not be best for sketching across the full spread. Will experiment and let you know how it works out!


After this first sketch, I walked towards Harcourt Terrace, a beautiful cul-de-sac with fantastic houses. Just looking at the chimneys alone gives you an idea I hope of how special the place is! Yes, I could fill a whole sketchbook with chimneys alone!


Then I just had time for a quick watercolour at the Eye and Ear Hospital. A magnificent building. It will have to wait another day for a full sketch!





No comments:

Post a Comment