Monday, November 28, 2022

The Beer Temple

I think I'm the only person in the group who remembers the theme of our journey - Saints and Demons. Hyperfocus is something that is very much part of me, so it comes easily. I was standing just in front of City Hall, up the steps. There was a sign saying there was a private function, so I didn't go in, but it was a great location to sketch The Beer Temple. See, I told you I am finding connections with our theme everywhere I look! The downstairs looks quite modern, but the windows on the first floor are enhanced by magnificent brickwork that remind me of a church. And I have just discovered it gets a mention in Ulysses, which makes me very happy. And it also played a significant part in the 1916 rising, due to its position just across the road from Dublin Castle. (I love the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage website and map!)

And now it's a pub.

I added a small amount of colour after I got home, to connect it to the facing page (more about that in the next post).





No comments:

Post a Comment