Tuesday, November 29, 2022

One-Star State of Mind Hotel

I find that I am sketching on my own more and more. Maybe it's a good thing, maybe not. I don't know. I have always loved the community aspect of sketching, discovering an area together, feeling safe in less salubrious parts of town as I can see fellow sketchers across the road from me. But at the moment, I'm still in catchup mode. Everybody seems to have an opinion on how I should fix it. None of which seems to take into account my atypical brain which needs order and a clear path from a to b to c. So, I left blank pages in my sketchbook and I go back when I have time to fill the gaps. Except I keep finding more and more interesting buildings and moments to capture. It's not satisfactory. I'm thinking of giving up altogether.

The thing is that I do enjoy sketching on my own, but I do also like chatting with the others afterwards. But right now the Journey West gang are so far ahead that I just think I'll do my own thing and let them carry on. I don't think anybody will miss me anyway. The other day when I was asked how I was and I replied okayyyy, I was met with a stare and silence. This is Ireland. Nobody wants to know your problems. They just want to enjoy themselves, and if you're not in the best of forms, well, keep that to yourself and don't be troubling others with it. Better stay at home until you're feeling better, dear.

OK, rant over!

I did have a great time sketching this. I sat in RóCo café on Lord Edward Street and sketched the building across the way. I had a lovely matcha latte, then a toasted vegan sandwich, all served with a smile. I would definitely go back there for lunch when I'm in the area. It's a small café but cosy upstairs and the perfect view at the counter downstairs.

So, I couldn't draw the whole building. It's a long block and I would have needed a concertina book for that. I had brought a yellow pencil, as I knew I wanted to make those yellow terracotta window surrounds as bright as I could. They do shine bright when the sun is shining. It's a beautiful building. It used to be a home for working boys. It "was designed by Albert E. Murray between 1890 and 1891 to provide ‘comfortable and healthy lodgings’ for working boys of the Protestant faith" according to the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage.

Now it's a 1-star hostel, with beds from €12 a night.



The spread looked better without text!!




No comments:

Post a Comment