Saturday, November 19, 2022

Not so Sweet Churro

So this is an indoors/outdoors sketch. It's really two sketches, but I've loosely connected them, as I was sitting in the one spot for both of them. 

The first is my Spanish Hot Chocolate (delicious - how come I've been on this earth so many years and never tasted Spanish hot chocolate before!) at Sweet Churro, a little café on Dame Street. The service wasn't sweet. The waitress tried to charge me for cream that I had specifically asked not to include. There was no smile or apology. And no apology either when she told me that the light in the toilet wasn't working. Well, it didn't deter me. That's why we have a torchlight on our phones after all!

The sketch on the right is the view from the window. I really couldn't see very much of City Hall, just the balustrade that runs around it, and the Disneyesque candle installation (it reminds me of Beauty and the Beast).

There were a few people in the café, mostly tourists takings refuge from the rain. But I was on my own, and chose not to sketch them. Maybe this double-spread reflects my sense of disconnection from the world and from my community. It's no big deal. It's always something I experience after travelling. And I have recently discovered that it is quite common among atypicals, as we need more time to switch between holiday routine and back-home routine. Learning something new about myself every day. It's never too late!


No comments:

Post a Comment