Sunday, April 26, 2020

Vegetable patch

We had some sunshine last week, and it was actually pleasant to sit outside and sketch for a bit. The sun didn't show up today, unfortunately. And it's been colder. Still, we're making the most of what we have, going for a good walk twice a day, which keeps us in good physical and mental shape. Scary to say, but the last week has gone in a flash. It's like we're getting into a rhythm. Maybe it's to do with the hope that there will be some relaxation of the confinement measures from the 5th of May? But what if they let the builders go back to work, but we still can't go beyond the 2km perimeter? That would be tough! Although our neighbour was telling us the other day that in Moscow, you cannot go further than 100 meters from your apartment. And children in Spain were not allowed outside for the last 44 days! So, yes, we are the lucky ones!

Now, back to my little garden. well, it's not looking the best right now. Half of it has been taken over by Brendan's garlic. And then I have a massive parsley plant in the middle of the other half. And chives. We never eat chives. So, I'm not sure how I'm going to organise things in order to plant my lettuce and bean seeds. I probably should have started sooner, but I'm always reluctant to do anything in the garden before early May. I just don't want to spend time nurturing little plants only to see them killed off by frost in late April. Which can happen. And did, only a few days ago. I was very lucky last year with lettuce and beans, so even if that's all I plant, it will be OK. Carrots and beetroots were not so good. I'm not a natural.


'A nice salad, cool as a cucumber, Tom Kernan can dress. Puts gusto into it. Pure olive oil. Milly served me that cutlet with a sprig of parsley. Take one Spanish onion. '

No comments:

Post a Comment