Wednesday, May 02, 2018

Music


I was at the James Joyce Centre earlier in April for a free concert, called Ulysses Extended, a musical score by Stephen Gardner performed by Paul Roe, Ellen Demos and Shane O'Donovan. Very enjoyable, if a bit obscure. I sketched a little during the performance. I was at the back row, and I had brought a couple of calligraphy pens with me. I couldn't really do a detailed sketch, plus I didn't want to disturb the artists. So I did this dynamic sketch instead, drawing the singer twice and super-imposed the clarinet player and the percussionist. When I got home, I scanned the sketch and printed it on watercolour paper and added a few dashes of colour.

This sketch fits well into the Sirens chapter of Ulysses, where music is the art form explored by Joyce. Me, I'm just enjoying every moment of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment