Sunday, August 06, 2017

Sketching the sketchers

It wasn't the perfect Sunday. But after missing two weeks, I was determined to make it to Dublin Sketchers last Sunday. Things were going well. I got parking right outside our location, Griffith College. And it looked like it was going to be dry for half an hour at least. Then we found out that permission was required, as young kids were staying there in the summer. We didn't have permission. Some people headed towards the canal. I took one look at the darkening sky and said "You can do what you want. I'm going to the café" Some of them were not seen again. I heard of one person who went home after getting wet. This is August in Ireland. When it rains it rains. 

So, what do sketchers do when they are stuck together in a café for a couple of hours? They sketch each other, of course. And chat. And drink tea. And eat. That too. 

For some insane reason, I decided to paint directly to watercolour. No preliminary drawing. No measuring. And I had a ball. You will not recognize these people. James is thinner. Des has a more interesting jawline. And Marina is much prettier. I hope they forgive me! I forgive them.





And I found a use for graphite grey - perfect for painting black-framed glasses!

No comments:

Post a Comment