Thursday, August 03, 2017

More clouds

I decided to try out the same Béal Bán view again, with different colours, and then with the same colours again, but experimenting more with contrast and wet-on-wet versus wet-on-dry.

The different colour experiment didn't work out. Bloodstone Genuine wasn't a good pigment for clouds afer all. Plus I didn't wait long enough to start painting my mountains. So, instead of giving a soft "cloud-kissing-top-of-mountain" effect, I just got a #fuzzymountain look.



But the other painting was fun. I cranked up the Moonglow and it granulated beautifully. And I think I will never tire of West-of-Ireland skies. The next step will be to figure out how to paint an interesting painting that incorporates the clouds, rather than just the clouds. First step would be to lower the horizon. Second, go more abstract in terms of the land and sea. Third, paint bigger. And then what? I think I'm going to have to go back to Donald Teskey's paintings, that's what. A little ambitious, yes. But what have I got to lose, except my sanity?


No comments:

Post a Comment