Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Roofs - Minimal Setup

The thing I love about Liz Steel's advice is that it's all about sketching quickly! Which suits my busy life! The next exercise in Lesson 6 was an outdoor prompt: drawing roofs. A scary thing, roofs, all angles and volumes! I tried two different methods. The first one is ink first, then watercolour. And the second is the opposite. 

Because the ink I have in my fountain pen is water-soluble, it bleeds when watercolour is applied on top. But I quite like that, as it helps me apply darker tones and textures. Experienced sketchers use waterproof ink, but it will block your fountain pen if you don't use it regularly, so I'm not sure it's for me. I've ordered some de Atramentis ink online and I'll try it out when it gets here (and no, I didn't buy any of their scented inks - peach, strawberry, apple, green tomato? All too strange for me). It's supposed to be waterproof without clogging fountain pens. Which sounds like an oxymoron to me, but I'll let you know how I get on. 







No comments:

Post a Comment