Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Holiday Books

Having a broken arm meant I couldn't do any drawing while on holidays. While I became proficient at applying mascara with my left hand, drawing just didn't work out. So I decided to read instead. Thank god for my Kindle! An ideal companion when flying with Ryanair and you're getting close to your 15 Kg baggage allowance.

The Buried Giant, by Kazuo Ishiguro
A pleasant read, but it went from a Hobbit-like world to Arthurian legend, and then didn't quite deliver the punch I had expected at the end. He's done better. For a more erudite review, check out this New Yorker article.

Labyrinth, by Kate Mosse
If you liked the Da Vinci Code, you will probably love Labyrinth. This is set in the time of the Cathars and also in the present day, mostly in the region between Carcassonne and the Pyrenees. A good holiday read, if a little predictable in parts.

Leaving Time By Jodi Picoult
Now this book wasn't predictable at all. The twist caught me off-guard altogether. I loved it. And I learned a lot about elephants.

The Kingmaker's Daughter, and The White Princess, both By Philippa Gregory
Two typical Philippa Gregory stories. Both set around the time of the War of the Roses. Two different points of view around the same historical events. Always a reliable engrossing read. Loved both books.


No comments:

Post a Comment