Thursday, June 20, 2013

Slieve League

Much higher than the cliffs of Moher. One of the highest cliffs in Europe. So high that it's hard to take it all in. And yet, no busloads of tourists or interpretive centers. That is one of the beauties of Slieve League in County Donegal. The only thing that's missing from my perspective is something man-made at the bottom to give you scale - you just don't realise how big they are.

The last time I was in Donegal was over 20 years ago - and I did go to Slieve League that time too, but the weather wasn't as clear as last week - it was a typically wet and windy Paddy's Day weekend and I stayed with a number of friends in a cottage on the bog near Glenties. I don't remember much - a nice pub with a fire in Killybegs, falling on sheep poo over Slieve League (I was wearing a cream coat!), going to Nancy's bar, where there was music going all night, and the vast expanse of bogland after crossing the border from Northern Ireland.

My memories from this holiday are very different - sunshine most of the time, beautiful beaches, good road, excellent food. Things have changed a lot in 20 years - or am I just getting older?

No comments:

Post a Comment