Sunday, June 30, 2013

Petits arrangements avec le mariage

Why I read this book in French, I'm not sure - it's a translation from the English. I must have read about it in a French magazine, got a sample onto my Kindle without checking what the original title was, forgot about it for a few months, and then decided to give it a try while we were on holidays.

It's an entertaining little book, not very deep - It's told from the perspective of a Pakistani socialite, who is helping her aunt find a bride for her son (the aunt's son). She is wealthy, has a good husband, many rich friends, a good social life in the right circles, but she is sooo shallow! And she is not as well educated as she would like to think! Her malapropisms are very funny! I think the character developed by Moni Mohsin may be Pakistan's answer to Ross O'Carroll Kelly - hilarious if you understand all the context and colloquial undertones, but only mildly amusing if you don't, or if, like me, you don't have a sense of humour.

And in case you'd like to read it, the English title is Tender Hooks.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment