Thursday, April 28, 2011

Oriental Bazaar, kimonos, obis and other things Japanese

I'm not a big shopper - I tend to buy most of my clothes online, and I just don't have the patience to try things on in shops. But the Oriental Bazaar on Omotesando in Harajuku could make a shopper out of me. I found all the Japanese China (I know, that's a strange term, isn't it, "Japanese China", but that's what they call it, so it must be right) absolutely delightful. I wanted to buy it all. And if I had known that they ship worldwide, I probably would have! Unfortunately, they don't sell online.

And I also found there a gorgeous antique silk obi for 530 yen. That's less than €5! And it's a perfect match for my second-hand silk kimono, bought in Hamamatsu for €25! (If you're ever in Hamamatsu, I highly recommend this shop. The lady was really helpful, fitting the kimono perfectly and looking for suitable accessories. And it's unbelievably good value)!

The Japanese have a reputation for being big shoppers. After spending 2 weeks there, I think I've caught the bug!

Here is the complete look - Not sure when I'll have occasion to wear this kimono in Ireland, but it's really pretty and, being silk, really warm too.

No comments:

Post a Comment