Sunday, March 14, 2010

Swirly wurlies

I may not be posting much about my artwork these days, but that doesn't mean I haven't been busy. No watercolours lately. I'm currently working on an acrylic.

It's based on a photograph I really like, but I'm struggling to achieve the soft striation effect. So far, the only part of the painting I'm happy with is the orange canyon background. The foreground is still too rough. Maybe I should try it in watercolour and see where that takes me.

I'm also experimenting with the swirling shapes with my Faber Castell Pitt pens - if I can't get them right with pen and paper, there is probably no chance in acrylics. In the photograph, I love the way the little peak in the centre reminds me of an ice cream cone. But I can't seem to get that part right.

Anyways, this is where it is right now. Plenty more work before this is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment