Friday, October 27, 2006

Coup de coeur - Susanna & The Magical Orchestra

One day this week, I was in the car going to a customer. I like to listen to RTE lyric FM when I'm in the car on my own. They do a lot of classical music, but they also do other eclectic styles. I heard this beautiful song, called "It's a long way to the top (if you wanna rock 'n' roll)". It was sung by a woman, with a voice not unlike Bjork's.

When I searched for the song on iTunes, all I found was Dropkick Murphys (I have no idea who they are, but they sound awful to my ears!) and AC/DC and I was horrified! This was nothing like the soulful tune I had heard on the radio. I then googled it and found a wikipedia article (good old wikipedia!) that lists the various covers of the song, which was originally an AC/DC song, although it's hard to imagine when you hear this version. In there, I found that the Norwegian duo Susanna & The Magical Orchestra (a.k.a. Susanna Wallumrød and Morten Qvenild) had done a cover version of it in 2006. I'd never heard of them before, but a few more Google searches uncovered their page on MySpace.com.

They look a bit weird, but the music is beautiful. Have a look at their page, and you can listen to the song there. I hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment