Monday, June 19, 2006

The Other Boleyn Girl

I've just finished reading "The Other Boleyn Girl", by Philippa Gregory. I don't normally read historical novels, but this one caught my eye in a shop when we were in Cork a couple of months ago (see Hayfield Manor entry on 29 March).

The history books don't tell very much about Mary Boleyn. For instance, www.tudorhistory.org gives one line about Mary: "Sister of Anne Boleyn and mistress of Henry VIII. Married William Carey", whereas Anne Boleyn gets pages and pages.

"The Other Boleyn Girl" tells the story of Mary, told by Mary herself. It's fiction, but based on the historical facts available. I found it a very good read. I did very little else but read this book in the last week or so. And I've now ordered another book by Philippa Gregory, "The Constant Princess". Let's hope it's as good.

Apparently, there is a TV drama that was made by the BBC based on the book. I must keep an eye out if they do a re-run of it at any stage. The actress who plays Mary Boleyn is Natascha McElhone, who played George Clooney's wife in Solaris. Actually, not quite his wife, but I won't spoil your fun if you haven't seen Solaris.

If you want to read a synopsis and an extract of "The Other Boleyn Girl", have a look at Philippa Gregory's website. There is lots and lots of interesting information on the website, and a snazzy feature to turn the pages of the book. I must find out how that's done!

On this note, I'll leave you now and go and have a further look at her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment