Saturday, October 05, 2024

FYJ - try different tools, colours and techniques

For a week or so in early September, I was been following the Find Your Joy Taster free course run by Louise Fletcher and her team. Initially, I was doubtful, but I have to say it's unlocked something, a freedom, a curiosity, a willingness to take risks and explore. Now this little piece I'm sharing here is probably not the best example, as I was trying a medium that I'm not very familiar with, gouache.

This exercise, trying different tools and techniques, was a good excuse to use tools I have bought a while back and haven't tried since swatching the colours. But I am feeling a lot of resistance to this exercise. Going from watercolours, where I know what I'm doing, to gouache and colour pencils, where I know very little. It's hard to go back to being a beginner. And something that Louise said clicked with me. It's normal not to be very good at something new. If I was learning the cello, I would not expect to play like Jacqueline DuPré within a week, would I? So why is our expectation different when we're painting?

So yes, there you go. Frustrated with my lack of technical knowledge, so the clouds are too solid. But being able to add a line of light colour over a dark colour is very exciting. And maybe those little dashes of light on top of a watercolour landscape would be nice?



No comments:

Post a Comment