Sunday, October 06, 2024

FYJ Taster - Paint ugly

FYJ (Find Your Joy - taster) Assignment 3, back to watercolour. Used a black that was in my "try-anything" palette. Also used some Raw Umber Violet (much redder than I expected). Lots of water. When I got frustrated with the water going everywhere, I dragged some of the yellow on a diagonal with kitchen roll paper (and no, you don't need the special blue kitchen paper that Louise uses!). Then dragged an old plastic card through the light part at the bottom of the page.  Inspired by the same scene as the mountain in gouache I did earlier. 

QUESTION: is it ugly or is it bad? what's the difference?

PS: there is a raw, elemental, feeling to this, that I have been chasing for weeks in my watercolour clouds! I guess this is proving Louise's point, when we don't try to make something pretty, something authentic comes out!

PPS: I also see a dragon!



No comments:

Post a Comment