Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Bullock Harbour - some thoughts about what kind of an artist I am not.

I am not a plein air painter. Funny that, given that I'm an urban sketcher. Give me a sketchbook anywhere and I will focus on what attracts me and draw and paint and draw some more. No problem. Give me a watercolour pad? I see too much. I can't focus. I don't know what it is. In my studio, no problem, I have a process. It works for me. I work out my composition, my colour scheme, how I want to tell the story. But outdoors, everything is eye candy to me, and I revert to a self that doesn't know how to paint! The fact that I only do plein air painting once a year doesn't help. But at 58 (well, closer to 59 really!), I don't have the energy to change who I am. So, tomorrow, I'm just bringing my sketchpad and my small palette, and I'm going to sketch lots and lots!





No comments:

Post a Comment