Saturday, October 09, 2010

Rossbeigh beach

One of the finds of our visit to Kerry was Rossbeigh beach, near Glenbeigh. It's on the Ring of Kerry, and it looks just like a flip image of Inch beach on the Dingle peninsula, and when you look at the satellite picture, you understand why!



View Larger Map

We had a bright blustery day and it was perfect for our walk on the beach, until we turned back, into the wind. At that stage, I was so glad of Brendan's woolly hat!

And be warned - out of season, the public toilets at the start of the beach are locked - only in Ireland! And Bord Failte wonder why tourists are not coming back! Just as well I have a strong bladder.

We had lunch in the Towers Hotel in Glenbeigh (check out the History section for Ryan's Daughter connections and reference to De Gaulle, who my mother told me visited Sneem on a number of occasions). Old-fashioned pub, but the food was pretty good - I had a ham and cheddar ciabatta - tasty big portion, french fries and a nice salad, and Brendan had a bowl of very good nachos - all for €14.

The picture on the left is one I found through Google, advertising a hotel in the area, but I thought it gives a good idea of the beauty of the beach! I'd say it's busy in the summer, though. If you enlarge the picture, you can almost see all the cars parked along the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment