Saturday, September 19, 2009

Kerry Sky

I've been a busy bee in the last few weeks - not much to show for it, as a lot of my attempts at painting my Kerry Sky (seen from Loop Head) were heavy-handed. But I'm getting there (or so I think anyway). I've been practising the quick blending with a fan brush shown on a YouTube video, and I am getting more realistic effects. I am using a slow-dry medium that keeps the acrylic paint open for longer, so I have more time to blend. It's not quite as subtle as pastels, but it's as good as I'm going to get for now.
So, I'm ready to move to the watercolour version of that same sky.
After that, I have some homework given to me by Moya - a couple of still lives - so I can learn to walk before I run!


Here is the original attempt



A lot of brushmarks - you can never forget you're looking at a painting, and a bad one at that. I knew it wasn't right, but I just couldn't control my brushstrokes.



And using black to make greys - big mistake. I knew that!



And here is my final painting (it's not a great picture - it really doesn't do it justice. I'll take another one in natural daylight in the morning). I won't bore you with the 6 intermediary pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment