Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Prestige

I've been to the pictures a lot lately! The simple reason is that there are a lot of good movies out at the moment. Mind you, I don't seem to have time for much else these days. I'm working on my Christmas cards, but progress has been very slow. I'll have to start moving faster if I want to send my cards in time!

On Sunday night, we went to Dundrum Movies to see "The Prestige", a movie about the obsessive rivalry between 2 magicians at the turn of the century in Victorian England. I have to say it's nice to see how well that cinema is doing. It's great for us to be able to walk down, though the weather was so bad on Sunday evening that we decided to drive instead.

I really enjoyed the movie, despite a gang of 14-year-old boys who were chatting the whole time. It's the kind of movie where you need to pay attention or you feel you'll miss something essential. Mind you, I had guessed "the trick" before it was all revealed, so it wasn't so hard really (I'm one of these people who is generally the last to figure out the twist in movies !) . From the reviews I had read, I was expecting something much more complex and subtle.

A bit of trivia: David Bowie makes an appearance in the movie, as Nikola Tesla, an inventor who was competing with Edison in his research on electric current.

No comments:

Post a Comment