Saturday, February 03, 2024

The Irish Yeast Company

The Dublin that I love is disappearing in front of our eyes. Buildings that have character and a history are being neglected to a point where they can't be repaired. Then they get replaced by something modern and bland. The Irish Yeast Company was an institution. Most people I know remember going to it to buy yeast, to make bread, or to brew! People remember the owner, who used to live above the shop and refused to sell up. After he died, the pub next door bought it for €800,000, but any time they apply for planning permission, it gets rejected. Plus, there is some pretty serious structural issue. What looks like poorly drawn windows on the left is me trying to depict the bulging of the bricks on that side of the building. I'm not an architect, so I can't say for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if the modern hotel built beside it had something to do with it! Also, 

It was a cold morning. After about half an hour, I had to go and warm up. Valerie was already inside, so I sketched her! Can you guess what coffee shop we were in?






No comments:

Post a Comment