Friday, February 23, 2024

Sandymount pharmacy etc

It was early February, and the weather went from wet to cold over the space of an afternoon. I stood in the winter sunshine to sketch Sandymount pharmacy. But I was uncomfortable. I was standing, My arm was sore. My feet got cold. Those are my excuses anyway. I retreated to the café.

I was interested in the trees and the cars, so that's what I drew. I used a big graphite holder, which I've had for years but rarely use. I was fun to explore shapes and shading with this very versatile tool.


I did another sketch, drawing what was on the table and Maggie in front of me, but it got so bad that I ended up having to cover nearly a whole page with acrylic marker and start again, using a previous sketch to draw a more abstract version of her! Covering up a sketch is something I rarely do, but this one was so bad that it had to be done! I'm not going to post the original. 

Here are the three sketches after extra shading and full rework:




No comments:

Post a Comment