Friday, February 16, 2024

Ely place

It was the last weekend in January. A dry day. And we even got a little bit of watery sunshine, which encouraged me to sit outside the RHA on Ely Place. There was a lovely red car parked in front of the Georgian houses, and yes, black, yellow and red doors. Perfect! The owner of the car got in before I had even done the bumper, so it was frantic to try and get the shape of it before he left. He was certainly faster than me between getting into the car and moving out. Never mind, I thought, another car will take its place. A big black van arrived instead. I cursed it. I even hoped he would get caught out for not paying for his parking ticket. My curse didn't work. Anyway, I kept painting, from what I could see or remember. Missed a window or two, but never mind. 

Then I decided to draw vignettes, starting with the bicycle and a few sketchers on the other side of the street. I got a few calls from my Mum in the process - she wanted to practise her Japanese words, and also some company. I was happy to talk to her, but it clearly broke my flow! I then got up and went into the gallery to look at the exhibitions, all very interesting, particularly the exhibition of drawings. I said hi to sketchers on the way.


Then I was ready to sketch again. I stood on a doorstep, and looked towards the junction at the other end of the street. Got interested in roofs and chimneys. I don't think I will ever get the shape of a chimney pot right! Then it started to rain. Time to go to the pub!


We were quite social, but I still found a little bit of time to sketch a few sketchers who will definitely not recognise themselves in this!


And now, the sketches before I added text or extra grey marker!








No comments:

Post a Comment