Monday, February 06, 2023

Dublin at night

I am continuing to explore nocturnes, trying to apply what I learned in January with Uma Kelkar's Emerge workshop. I used a photo I took somewhere near Capel Street on the Luas line one evening. I love the back of these buildings, glowing in the dark on this lonely street. So that's what I was trying to represent.

This particularly piece went through two major phases. In the finished painting here, I added extra darks where I thought they were needed for the shapes to read better. But I also added gouache where I had lost the glow on the neon signs. It didn't help. You win some, you lose some. I will try again, but not yet. I'm still happy with the overall glow.


Earlier version. The glow with the neon signs worked better (except for the Pizza sign), but I felt that the figure and the building on the right needed more definition so the shapes would read better.


No comments:

Post a Comment