Saturday, July 06, 2019

let's try this lamppost again


I can be like a dog with a bone. That painting with a brilliant sky ruined by a wonky lamppost was playing on my mind. So I had to have another go.  I worked on a Quarter sheet - that tends to be my favourite format - anything bigger is a bit scary, and smaller is just, well, smaller.
Crazy wet-in-wet sky, tick.
Dark foreground, kept to a minimum, tick
Straight lamppost in foreground, tick
Straight lamppost in back, tick
Two traffic lights, tick.
DONE!

I have a lot more photos from that area, so do expect a few motorway bridges in the months to come. I say that, but I know I will get distracted by life drawing, or flowers or drawing with lines. It's been fun focusing on direct watercolour (not even a pencil line) for a month, but what I gain in spontaneity, I loose in accuracy. It's a fine balance. I'm learning all the time. And I'm in no rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment