Thursday, April 14, 2016

Woodblock printing

A couple of weeks ago, I was at a woodblock printing demonstration at the Chester Beatty Library, by Hiroko Imada, a Japanese artist who lives and works in the UK.

No, I'm not planning to take up another medium - I'm juggling enough as it is. But I was curious to learn more about the art of the Japanese woodblock prints!

A very instructive, practical demonstration by Ms. Imada, who showed us from start to finish how it's done, with detailed information about the tools and techniques of the trade! I might apply some of this to Gelli printing and to stamp carving!

The only thing that didn't work for me was the location of the demonstration - a couple of tables and a few chairs just under the stairs in the main entrance hall of the Chester Beatty Library. It was so noisy that we could barely hear her voice. And it was draughty too. Surely they could have found a better space for this!

Here is a little video I took of Ms Imada showing how to hold the carving tools:


No comments:

Post a Comment