Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Madama Butterfly



OK, I'd better get my skates on - it's nearly two weeks since I saw Madama Butterfly at the Odeon cinema, another Met HD live performance.

This was the Anthony Minghella production, which I had seen before. It was as beautiful as the first time, and I think I liked the singers even more this time around - Roberto Alagna and Kristine Opolais. Yes, the same pair as in Manon Lescaut.

Not much more to say that I didn't say already in 2009, really. If you have an opportunity, go and see it. It's a treat, particularly when the singers are young enough to make it credible. Which is the challenge, because only experienced singers can sing those demanding roles, and yet she is supposed to be only 15 at the start of the opera (a child bride - I know, I know, you couldn't write this kind of stuff nowadays!), 18 by the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment