Monday, October 02, 2023

Indigo Wild World

I needed something to keep me sane. So I signed up for Dolores Phelps's Wild Watercolour online workshop. I love her very wet and wild technique, so this is going to keep me going for the next few weeks! She uses watercolour and ink also. All these first exercises are all with Indigo, so we don't get distracted by colour! 

Circles in watercolour. I used Holbein Neutral Tint (PBk6 PB15 PV19) and Daniel Smith Phthalo Turquoise (PB15:3 PG36). I think my mix needs a little more of the Phthalo Turquoise, although the effect is not quite so blue in reality.
Enjoyed scratching, lifting and adding lots of water.
And, yes, having a thick towel on the desk was the best advice, as there is water dripping everywhere!

 


Lots of fun with ink dropped into very wet paper, then added watercolour with the pipette. I used Sennelier indigo ink + Talens Indian black ink. I have had the bottle of Indian ink for years and it smells a bit, but I'll just play with it for now. I do love the granulation!!

This photo here was when the ink was still damp. Notice the huge drying shift with ink!



I tried a few different mixes to get the colours I like. These are my favourites. Watercolour: Holbein Neutral Tint + Daniel smith Phthalo Turquoise. Ink: Sennelier indigo ink (shellac-based) + Talens Indian Ink (black). My Indian ink is very old and may have gone off, but I have a big bottle and I'm going to use it. In the long term, I'm more interested in watercolour than ink.



No comments:

Post a Comment