Sunday, April 02, 2023

Essex Gate

Sketching is good for the soul. Sometimes life gets too complicated and it seems trivial to be wanting to sketch. But every time that happens to me, I feel like I am losing part of myself. I know that sketching is my mindfulness meditation, my healing resource. And yet, when I haven't sketched in a while, it's hard to get out there and start again. But I did. And I feel better for it.

I'm back following the trace of the Anglo-Norman defense walls around Dublin. In some places, like here on Essex street, there doesn't seem to be anything left. Just the markers. Some of these are pretty obvious. Others are concealed by fencing and overgrown vegetation.


This house is on the corner of Essex Street West and Fishamble Street, of Handel's Messiah fame. I must go back and sketch the location of the Music Hall, although only a gate marks the location now - I can't believe I missed it!


Sketches as done on location. Colour added at home.



A few photos




No comments:

Post a Comment