Monday, March 06, 2023

Hawai!

It's been a tough couple of weeks. I've been all over the place. Some awful sketches, no painting at the easel. But on Thursday, I had a choice between yoga class and Street View World Tour. It's organised by Eleanor Doughty and Jenny Adams on a monthly basis.They pick a location on Google maps, and everybody sketches the view, plus they invite a guest who gives a free demo. A wonderful way to connect with urban sketchers from around the world and learn new skills!  They have been virtually travelling all around the world in the last 11 months, and I only just joined this week. Now, I will have to be a regular! And what a great location - we were in Hawaii! And the artist who did the demo was Uma Kelkar. She was showing us her work in Procreate, but the concepts she was explaining could apply to any media. What Uma told us about greens is bouncing around my head still! I worked mostly in watercolour, with some white Gelly Roll pen, and my new Stabilo Woody colour pencils, plus some Posca markers, and a white resist pencil.

This first sketch was done in 10 minutes, but I'm very happy with how it turned out!



I was working at the same speed for this one, but I had double the time, so I think I overworked it a bit. I struggled with the rocks in the water, but Posca markers came to the rescue!


For the final location of the evening, we were at a black volcanic beach. It was fun. I think the wind in the palm trees was better in the earlier stages. I kind of lost some of it by adding too much on top. But I like my overall colour scheme all the same.



No comments:

Post a Comment