Thursday, December 31, 2020

Cars in monochrome

Lots of different directions going on in my head. That's always what happens when I'm in a learning phase, which is most of the time! As I'm searching for my voice, I look for inspiration from other artists, trying to absorb what they can teach me while not losing myself in someone else's style!

So right now, I'm working from Marion Rivolier's wonderful book, learning a lot about the different planes of a scene in front of me. I'm learning a lot from the methodical exercises Marion has designed. Ideally I should be doing these from life, but we're in Level 5 again, so I'm working from photos. In the new year, when I have a bit more energy, I'm planning to sketch from the car, within our 5km radius.

This street is very close to where we live, and I took the photo on one of my last walkies with Timber.

And yes, I still struggle with cars, so I'll keep on practising. Most streets in Dublin have underground electric cables, but a few still have overhead wires, and they are my favourites. Something I love in Japan too, the jumble of wires crisscrossing the streets. Oh I would love a sketching holiday in Japan!

Here is the full spread with the three sketches


For the first one, I did a quick pencil underdrawing so I could figure out where things were.


This one without an underdrawing, a little more wobbly


And the final one, with a touch of colour.


And here's the pencil sketch for the first one.


No comments:

Post a Comment