Sunday, October 13, 2013

Eugene Onegin

I wasn't exactly in the humour for opera last Saturday. We've been busy lately and, let's face it, a dog takes a lot of what used to be free time. I find that I make lists for weekends now. And I struggle to complete them. So I felt like I needed a night out like a hole in the head - hey maybe that's why I'm getting dizzy spells!

And I'm not good with new environments - Car parks in particular are a cause of anxiety. So I gave myself plenty of time to get to Dun Laoghaire. I took the company van - it's easier to park than the car. And of course I found a good spot in the multi-story car park with no problem. And enough time for a stroll on the main street - not the most exciting shopping experience - I ended up buying jelly babies in Dealz! But the sun was shining, it was mild and I enjoyed the buzz, with a good half hour to spare to read the synopsis before the start of Eugene Onegin at the Met HD.

The plot isn't too taxing: young girl from a good family down the country falls in love with Eugene Onegin, who is visiting their neighbour, his friend Lenski, who is also the young girl's sister's beau. She declares her love. He rejects her. At a ball for the young girl's name day, Eugene flirts with the sister, upsets the beau. There is a duel. The beau dies. A few years later, Eugene comes back to St Petersburg from his travels and meets the young girl, who is now a sophisticated married young woman. He falls in love (a bit late!!). She tells him she still loves him but she rejects him all the same. The end. Yes, Eugene Onegin has confirmed my impression that Russian operas are on the heavy side.

Beautiful music though, particularly in Acts II and III. I struggled to stay awake during Act I, I am ashamed to say.

I am a fan of Anna Netrebko since I saw her in Anna Bolena. She didn't disappoint. (but oh dear those photos from NY Fashion Week??) And the two male singers, Mariusz Kwiecien and Piotr Beczala, were excellent too.

So, overall, a good evening. And so much for avoiding Russian operas - my next one is The Nose by Shostakovich.

No comments:

Post a Comment