Sunday, August 12, 2012

Donnybrook

You can't get posher than Dublin 4, really. But somehow, I thought that Ballsbridge was considered a better address than Donnybrook. And I always wondered why. Now I think I know. I came across the word "donnybrook" in an article in Newsweek recently, and found out from BB that the word meant a brawl, a fight. And the reason for this meaning is that there used to be a fair held in Donnybrook, where fights used to erupt quite regularly, and the word found its way into everyday language. If you don't believe me, check it out in dictionary.com! I wonder if the owners of Donnybrook Fair realise that the name they chose for their grocery store was not always synonymous with the refined and exclusive shopping experience that it now brings to mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment