Friday, May 11, 2012

The Marvel Avengers

I love everything written by Joss Whedon - Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly are two of my all-time TV favourites. He's the main reason I picked Marvel's The Avengers for a movie outing last weekend, despite the fact that it was only available in 3D in our local cinema. But the dreaded headache didn't materialise, so I can't say that 3D gives me headaches anymore, since I've gone to two 3D movies in my life and one gave me a headache (Avatar) and one didn't (The Avengers).

In many ways, The Avengers is typical blockbuster fare - big muscles, big baddies, the world is at risk, a strong sexy female character, big monsters, big explosions, New York is being attacked, ... You get the picture. And it took a little while to get going - the scene needs to be set of course for bringing together all these unique heroes - Captain America, the Black Widow, Iron Man, Thor, Hawk Eye, and Hulk. But once it gets going, it goes at a mad pace, and the one-liners are flying non-stop.

Not sure what the little 8-year-old girl in the row in front of us made of it, though. I think she was mostly bored, but her dad (who most likely was the one who really wanted to see the movie) kept her quiet with soft drinks and pop corn, so everybody was happy.

I said I love everything by Joss Whedon - Am I ready for the Cabin in the Woods though?

No comments:

Post a Comment