Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Sketching by the Dodder

Back from my travels, and back to sketching. Apparently the weather wasn't good while we were away. So spring has been quite slow, which I'm selfishly delighted about. It means that the trees are still at their bright-green stage. My favourite time. By June, the leaves have often turned a dull dark green, which I don't find as interesting to paint. 
So on this particular Sunday in early May, we went sketching by the Dodder, between Windy Arbour and Milltown. Very easy to get to with the Luas, and the sun came out, shining through the leaves and sparkling over the river. Yes, the Dodder is a smallish river that runs through South Dublin, from Tallaght to Grand Canal Dock. I never really explored it much, until the pandemic when we started walking its banks, as it was within our 5km range.
When I sketch, I don't think much about the perfect view, or even the story I'm trying to tell. I just see something that catches my eye, and then I sketch it. Maybe this tree reminded me of the big trees in Albert Park in Auckland? Well, everything is bigger in New Zealand, the mountains, the lakes, the trees!

 
Next I went in search of a spot closer to the water. I walked past Dartry Mills and found this little corner that became my personal paradise for an hour or so. The reddy brown water, bright green reflections, sparkling water running over the rocks. That's all I wanted .




No comments:

Post a Comment