Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Harold's Cross park and cemetery

It's a while since I was in Harold's Cross. We had sketched there as part of the Harold's Cross Festival a few years ago and I had very fond memories of it. So when I got there last Sunday (I'm writing this in mid-January), I headed straight to the park. And I had to sketch one of the tall trees straight away. I was standing up, it was awkward, but then the sun came out and lit up the scene. I got so excited! After adding a touch of watercolour, I had to wait for paint to dry. And I was so glad I had thought of bringing a second, smaller, sketchbook. I turned towards the other trees and squinted into the sun. Probably not a good idea when you're prone to headaches, but it was worth it. I worked in black brush pen and grey marker. Really quick, not worried about details or accuracy. All I wanted was to feel that sense of light and the trees against it.



Then I headed to Mount Jerome Cemetery. It was cold. But I got a slightly sheltered spot. It was busy with Sunday visitors. But I got in the zone again and just kept sketching, until I got too cold. I then wrote some of the names I could read on the stones. Some day, those names will disappear too, so it felt important to record them. Getting to the age where mortality is on my mind, obviously! 
I added colour when I got to the pub.





One quick sketch in the pub, then chatted with various people. I felt so energised. Kept talking about blind drawing!






No comments:

Post a Comment