Saturday, January 09, 2021

Alleyway

By the time you get to your third lockdown, any notion of hope seems to dissipate. With the first lockdown, we thought we'd be travelling by summer. The second one, we'd had a week in the West of Ireland, and things didn't feel so bad. But this time, I didn't even get to enjoy the three weeks when we were allowed to go to restaurants and shops and meet friends. I'm no epidemiologist (I still have difficulty saying that word!), but I knew that the numbers were too high and that meeting people in indoors settings was too much of a risk. Plus we had other preoccupations in the weeks leading to Christmas. And now we're facing into the longest January.  I miss urban sketching so much. I look around my house, and there's nothing more I want to sketch. I don't want to have to organise another Zoom session ever again. So I'm turning to virtual sketching for solace. It's not my favourite thing, as I need a connection to the place to be able to sketch it, but since I chose one of my favourite views in Dublin, it worked for me. This is a pedestrian alleyway parallel to Dame Street, leading from South Great George Street to Dublin Castle. It's one of my favourite shortcuts in the city centre. I miss the city centre! The vibe. The noise. The people. The gorgeous architecture. Hell, even the tourists!

I did this before learning all about cast shadows, shade and reflected light, but I'm still happy with how it worked out!



No comments:

Post a Comment