Friday, January 22, 2016

Vegas watercolours

After a few days of timid sketching, I became bolder - I found a scene that interested me, I stood or sat down where I could work without having people going all around me, and I drew. I just got into the zone and I drew. I have no idea if people were looking at me or trying to peep at what I was doing. All that mattered was my subject and my sketch. And time stood still.

At one point, one of the workers in the Bellagio Conservatory came over to me and told me that what I was doing was "so cool". I got a bit embarrassed and thanked him. Funny that, I have no problem sharing all my work, good and bad, with you all. But in real life, his words meant the world to me!



The two sketches above were painted on watercolour postcards. A small format that's very easy to work with




These two sketches above are in a Moleskine sketchbook. It's very strange paper, quite thick, but it doesn't work very well for watercolours - the paint just sits on top of it and takes forever to dry.

The watercolours below are in a Moleskine watercolour sketchbook (20cm x 15 cm, more or less). That paper is divine. The only problem I had is drawing across the full spread is quite tiring - it's hard to hold it when it's open, and also hold a pen and a watercolour box and a waterbrush, and paper to mop up any accidents. So probably better to find a seat when using this sketchbook, rather than juggle it all while standing. Did I mention I'm clumsy?









No comments:

Post a Comment