Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Movies

I've become really bad at keeping you up to date with the movies or TV series I've been watching. So I'm going to have to be brutal, or I'll never catch up

Mighty Aphrodite: a Woody Allen that I actually enjoyed?

Le Weekend - a British couple go to Paris to escape their three-quarter life crisis. It's a bit silly, but it works.

The Cabin in the Woods - I never watch scary movies. But when it's Joss Whedon (of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame), I will make an exception. I wasn't disappointed.

La Populaire - cute French movie about a young girl who types really really fast.

Francis Ha - I really can't remember much about this movie. It was quirky. It was good

Hors-la-loi - French movie about 3 brothers of Algerian extraction and how they come to fight the law in France in the 50s. Quite a serious film. An important look at French history

Pour Elle - his wife goes to prison for a crime she did not commit.  What will he do for her (pour elle)? Another French movie. Not great.

About Time - lovely lovely movie about a young man who discovers that the men in his family have an ability to time travel. With Brendan Gleeson's little brother. I'd definitely watch it again

Philomena - I cried I cried. Wonderful movie about Philomena, whose little boy was given up for adoption without her consent when she was a young girl, and her lifelong battle to find him again. And the cruelty of nuns.

Blue Jasmine - I like Cate Blanchett - But this was Woody Allen at his tedious worst, as far as I'm concerned.

Caché - really weird. A man and his family are being watched. Initially, they don't know by whom. Until some events from the past are revealed. Half way through, I realised I had actually seen this movie before but had completely forgotten about it. Hard to believe. And the ending is completely unsatisfying. I hate being kept guessing

Nue Propriété - another strange French movie - two brothers in their early twenties live with their mother after their parents' divorce. Depressing

Star Trek - Into the Darkness - must have been good, but I can't think of anything that differentiates it from other Star Trek movies

Breathing - wonderful German movie about a juvenile deliquant who is allowed to leave jail to work for a funeral director.

Zero Dark Thirty - it must be a year since I watched it. Can't remember a thing. It was one of these war movies - Afghanistan, Iraq?

Flight - Denzel Washington as an alcoholic airline pilot whose skill saves everybody onboard when a mechanical failure occurs. Is he a hero? Or a villain? Didn't work for me

The Host - alien hosts take over human bodies. The only reason we watched this movie was Saoirse Ronan. Not great

Good Vibrations - movie about this guy in Belfast who had a record shop, and then I can't remember if he did or did not sign up The Undertones. Anyways, I really didn't care. And the guy himself didn't seem to care much himself, living his life in an alcoholic haze.

The Bourne Legacy - they're all good, but they're all the same.

Ghost World - even after reading the summary on Wikipedia, I really have no memory of this movie

Spiderman - which one was this again?

Salt - is Angelina Jolie a Russian spy or not? Well, I can't remember.

Trust - about a teenage girl who falls for a sexual predator - very disturbing

Young Adult - about a woman who suffers from a severe case of delusion. It was ok I think

Captain America - well, that was at least two years ago, so I really can't remember.

That's it - two years of movies in one post!












No comments:

Post a Comment