Tuesday, June 29, 2010

And books again

I'm waiting for my backup to complete, so I can't do anything in Outlook or in My Documents. Perfect excuse for a quick break.

I thought I was going to run out of books while on holidays, but then I remembered that there is a little press in the living room where people sometimes leave books for the next guests - we found an old Abba book Brendan left there a few years back, and Vikram Seth's Two Lives, which I will take home some day when Ryanair increase the luggage allowance.

And then I found Lauren Weisberger's Everyone Worth Knowing, a deliciously romantic story by the author of The Devil Wears Prada (I didn't particularly like the movie version, with Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway. While the story was OK, I just found that the clothes were not that Wow.)

But Everyone Worth Knowing is a delight - normal girl gets a job in PR in Manhattan, starts moving in celebrity circles, is seen at parties with famous British desirable bachelor, but finds it all too shallow and bitchy. Will she find true love? Will she have to give it all up to become herself again?

I really didn't expect much from this book, but I truly enjoyed it - sunshine and Corbières rosé probably helped, but I would love to see a movie version! I left it in the house so that the next guests can enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment