Thursday, May 06, 2010

That They May Face The Rising Sun

It took me a long time to read this one - That They May Face The Rising Sun by John McGahern. The last book by McGahern that I read was Amongst Women - of which I remember nothing - I must read it again some time!

I started this one a long time back, but then Mary gave me the loan of the Millennium Trilogy, so I didn't get back to it until a few weeks ago.

The best way to describe it is to say it's a slow burner - very slow. There really isn't much happening. Neighbours coming and going, taking whiskey or tea and biscuits, the seasons around the farm, weddings, funerals, days at the mart. Yet, it's very poetic, and you do get attached to the characters, but over time - they are not instantly likeable. The kind of book I might pick up again in 10 years' time and say "Mmmm... Can't remember what that was about. Let's read it again."

Actually, there is one scene I will remember forever - it involves a cat, a dead hare and an open window into the bedroom. I'll leave you with that thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment